So today we will talk about how many categories are there within the FMCG products and all the products used in our daily life fall into which category.
Yes, and you will be surprised to know how many FMCG product categories you use every day.
And if you are a shopkeeper or company owner, then you must know which FMCG product categories and which sub-categories does it belong to and which brands already have in it, it will help you a lot in your FMCG products; manufacturing, packaging, and marketing.
FMCG Products Is Mainly Divided Into 5 Categories :
In this, we will now understand how much contribution of each FMCG product category in the FMCG sector and in which sub-category they produce the product of the brand.
According to the reports, the food & beverage sector individually holds 49% market space of the total FMCG products whereas personal care 18%, cigarettes & alcohols 17%, home care 11% and OTC is the smallest that holds only 5%.
1) Home Care
All home maintenance products are listed in it.
But this category of FMCG product is also divided into sub-categories like DISHWASHING, FABRIC CARE, SURFACE CARE, HOME INSECTICIDE, AIR CARE, TOILET CARE.
Now we’re going to talk about all of them, one by one. What kinds of brands or products are manufactured in it?
A) DISH WASHING:
As we can know by the name of it, it’s mostly used in the kitchen section. For maintenance and neat cleaning of utensils.
Brand and their products.
- RECKITT BENCKISER – Vanish, Electrasol, Calgonit
- NIRMA- Clean dish wash bar.
- HINDUSTAN UNILEVER – Vim.
B) FABRIC CARE:
This product is used to clean the clothes.
- HINDUSTAN UNILEVER- Wheel, Surf excel, Rin, Comfort.
- P&G – Ariel, Tide.
- NIRMA- Detergent Powder.
C) SURFACE CARE:
These FMCG products are used in cleaning the house. They also contain antibacterial and fragrance products.
- RECKITT BENCKISER- Dettol, Colin, lizol.
- HINDUSTAN UNILEVER- Cif.
D) HOME INSECTICIDES:
This product is mainly used to kill insects which are dangerous to the human body.
- GODREJ – Good knight, Hit.
- RECKITT BENCKISER – Mortein.
E) AIR CARE:
These FMCG products are used to make air pure, fresh, and aromatic. Mostly these types of products are used in the bathrooms.
- DABUR – Odonil.
- P&G – Ambi Pur.
- GODREJ – Axe.
F) TOILET CARE:
As we can know by its name, toilet cleaner means this product is used to clean the toilet/bathroom like commode, washbasin.
- RECKITT BENCKISER- Harpic.
- HINDUSTAN Unilever- Domex
- DABUR- Sani fresh.
2) Personal Care
This FMCG product category holds an 18% share of the total FMCG sector. Under this category comes the products which you use for your body and skin or for external use. Personal care products are available for every person from a young age to old age.
This FMCG product category is also divided into subcategories which may help you in the easy identification of every product. These are- Haircare, Soap, and bath, Skincare cosmetics, Oral care, Baby care.
A) HAIR CARE:
The products which can be used in hair areas come under this category.
- HINDUSTAN UNILEVER – Sunsilk, Clinic Plus.
- MARICO – Parachute
- DABUR Amla
- EMAMI – Navratna
- PATANJALI Kesh Kanti
B) SOAP & BATH:
The products which can be used for the skin comes under this category.
- HINDUSTAN UNILEVER – Dove, Hamam, Lifebuoy, Axe.
- GODREJ – Cinthol.
- RECKITT BENCKISER – Dettol.
- PATANJALI Neem Bar.
- GILLETTE – Shaving cream.
C) SKIN CARE COSMETICS:
Like soap and bath products, these products too can be used for skin purposes. The only difference is that these products are used for maintaining your skin tone and taking care of the skin. They can be reached in the internal layers of skin by rubbing it on the surface in regular use. They may also help in improving the shine and tone of your skin.
- HINDUSTAN UNILEVER – Fair & Lovely, Ponds.
- L’Oréal – Garnier.
- EMAMI – Boro plus, Fair & Handsome.
- REVLON – Makeup Products(Revlon Eyeliner Pencil).
- PATANJALI Moisturizer Cream
D) ORAL CARE:
The products which are used for the mouth cavity comes under this category. They are used in the refreshment of the oral cavity. These products also help in improving the strength of your teeth and providing them with the required nutrients. These products also help in whitening of your teeth, improving the smell of your breath, removing the bacteria and making your mouth fresh and hygienic.
- COLGATE & PALMOLIVE (P&G) – Colgate , Cibaca.
- HINDUSTAN UNILEVER – Pepsodent, Close up.
- PATANJALI – Dant Kanti.
F) BABY CARE:
These products are specially made for the sensitive and soft skin of babies. The required nutrients for the skin are provided through these products only. These products help in improving the skin of babies, keeping it soft and smooth and rash free for the comforts of babies. This is the reason these products are made very carefully.
- JOHNSON & JOHNSON (J&J) – Baby soap, Oil, Shampoo.
- HIMALAYA PRODUCTS- Himalaya Baby Shampoo.
3) Food And Beverages
In FMCG, it has the most portion or percentage with a rate of 49%. Every kind of food and beverages are listed in it.
For example IMPULSE FOOD, OTHER FOODS, STAPLE FOODS, NON ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES.
- IMPULSE FOOD: These are the products that are bought suddenly, most of them do not come by planning before. Therefore, the shopkeeper shows such products in this way in the shop where the attention of the customers goes the most. Like at the billing counter, at the entry and exit gates. It is also called Impulse Purchasing.
- OTHER FOODS: it is 18% of the goods and beverage industry. This product comes in packaged foods, this kind of product we use to “instant open and eat”. Those products are ketchup, jam, frozen foods, chips.
- STAPLE FOODS: These are the products that we use most in daily life.
Examples are wheat, rice, maize, millet.
- NON ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE (Virgin Drinks): In these products, the alcohol percentage is 0.5% or lesser.
Individually Food categories are divided into subcategories of STAPLE FOODS, BAKED FOOD, CONVENIENCE FOODS, SNACKS, DAIRY PRODUCTS, CONFECTIONERY FOODS.
A) STAPLE FOODS:
In This Category Atta, Rice, Maize, Millets Are Include
- HINDUSTAN UNILEVER- Annapurna.
- ITC- Aashirvaad Atta.
- DAAWAT- Basmati Rice.
- PATANJALI- Navratna Atta.
B) BAKED FOODS:
- BRITANNIA- Good Day Biscuits, Nutri Choice Cookies, Cake,
- PARLE AGRO- Parle-G, 20-20 Cookies, Happy Happy, Monaco.
- ITC- Sun Feast, Yippee Noodles.
C) CONVENIENCE FOODS:
These FMCG products are fast cooking or such that you use for extra taste.
- NESTLE- Maggi.
- HINDUSTAN UNILEVER- Kissan Ketchup.
- MOTHER DAIRY- Safal.
- DABUR- Honey.
- PEPSICO- Lays, Kurkure.
- HALDIRAM- Bikaneri Papad.
- CORNITOS- Nacho Crisps.
E) DAIRY PRODUCTS:
- MOTHE DAIRY
- HINDUSTAN UNILEVER- Kwality Wall’s
F) CONFECTIONERY FOODS:
- MONDELEZ- Cadbury, Mars
- PERFETTI VAN MELLE- Alpenliebe, Centre Fresh.
Soft drinks, fruit drinks/juices, mineral water, tea/coffee, healthy beverage come under this FMCG product category
A) SOFT DRINKS:
A soft drink is a drink that usually contains Carbonated water, A sweetener, and a natural or artificial flavoring.
- PepsiCo – Pepsi.
B) FRUIT DRINKS/JUICES:
These drinks give us instant energy and also known as Energy Drinks. It highly contains vitamins, minerals, and also comes with many flavors.
- DABUR- Real Juices.
- PEPSICO- Tropicana.
- ITC- B Natural.
C) MINERAL WATER:
It’s purify water that comes with essential minerals.
- COCA COLA- Kinley.
- PEPSICO- Aquafina.
- PARLE AGRO- Bisleri.
It may come in powder form, in small solid particles, and in leaves form.
- HINDUSTAN UNILEVER- Lipton, Brooke Bond, Taj Mahal.
- TATA- Tetley.
E) HEALTH AND BEVERAGES:
Doctors, nutritionists prescribed these FMCG products. Health & beverage also help in fulfilling the essential nutrients, vitamins, minerals, proteins of the body.
- GLAXOSMITHKLINE- Horlicks, Boost.
- MONDELEZ- Bournvita.
4) Cigarettes And Alcohol
- ITC- Classic Wills.
- GODFREY PHILLIPS INDIA- Four Square, Marlboro, Red & White, Cavender’s.
- VST- Charminar.
IMFL (INDIAN MANUFACTURED FOREIGN LIQUOR), BEER, WINE are the categories of alcohol (FMCG products)
Indian-made foreign liquor (IMFL) is the official term utilized by governments, organizations, and media in India to allude to a wide range of hard liquor made in the nation other than indigenous mixed refreshments, for example, fenny, flavor, arrack and others.
IMFL additionally alludes to spirits that are created in foreign nations and imported to India in mass amounts and packaged in an Extract Fortified Stockroom by the Merchants.
- UNITED SPIRITS LIMITED – Mc Dowell’s No. 1, Royal Challenge.
- PERNOD RICARD – 100 pipers, Blenders Pride, Imperial Blue.
- BEAM SUNTORY – Teacher’s Jim Beam, Bowmore Sauza.
It is brewed from cereal grains—most commonly from malted barley, though wheat, maize (corn), and rice are also used. Beer is one of the oldest and most widely consumed alcoholic drinks in the world, and the third most popular drink overall after water and tea.
- UNITED BREWERIES – Kingfisher.
- SABMiller brands – Fosters Miller.
Aged grapes are using to produce wine (mixed beverage)
- GROVER ZAMPA VINEYARDS LIMITED – Grape brandy, Grape Seed Oil , Four Seasons Wines.
- SAMANT SOMA – Sula.
These are the FMCG products that are mostly available at medical shops and any customer can take them without prescription from the doctor.
This category does not come fully in FMCG, but still, its system is very similar to the FMCG sector.
- DABUR – Hajmola , Honitus, Shilajit.
- EMAMI – Zandu
- GSK – Crocin, Otrivin.
- AMRUTANJAN – Pain Balm.
Hindustan Unilever is one of the best FMCGs that there is, serving more than 2 billion happy consumers for 85 years.
Here is the Annual Report of 2017-2018, Which Shows that the Company has 18,000 employees and has sales of INR 34619 crores.
The main differences between FMCG & retail in the businesses I have worked in are; FMCG is the manufacturer of the products to the retailer and retail are the sellers to the end consumers, thus both businesses are part of the end to end chain.
HUL has over 35 brands across 20 categories such as soaps, detergent, skincare, cosmetics, tea, toothpaste, and some famous names include Surf Excel, Dove, Lux, Lifebuoy, Clinic Plus, Wheel, Sunsilk, Knorr, etc.
HUL is a subsidiary of Unilever, one of the world’s leading suppliers of food, homecare, and personal hygiene products with offices in 190 countries.
HEALTH & FITNESS CONSCIOUS
FROM- GWALIOR, M.P