Franchise Cricket is a type of cricket which played for business purpose. Millions of dollars are invested in franchise cricket.
Here player selection shall be done through the auction process. Most of the franchise cricket is played in twenty20 format. Also, there are some fifty and ten over tournaments there but mostly they are twenty20 format.
- Type of franchise cricket
- List of some major franchise cricket
- Country-wise major franchise tournament
- Franchise Cricket without having the official t-20 status
- Country-wise all franchise tournaments
On 11 July 2006, Nineteen West Indies regional teams played a franchise cricket. And that was named the Stanford twenty20 tournament.
That event was entirely involved by billionaire Allen Stanford, who gave at least US $ 28,000,000 of funding money. It was thought that the tournament would be an annual event.
Guyana won the inaugural event, defeating Trinidad and Tobago by 5 wickets, and team Guyana got the US $ 1,000,000 in prize money.
Again a franchise tournament called Stanford Super Series was held in October 2008 between three teams.
The respective winners of the English and Caribbean Twenty20 competitions, Middlesex and Trinidad and Tobago, and a Stanford Superstars team formed from West Indies domestic players.
Trinidad and Tobago won the competition and got the US $ 280,000 prize money.
World’s richest cricketing board the Board of control for Cricket in India ( BCCI ) introduced his first franchise tournament in 2008 named Indian Premier League ( IPL ). Majorly there are eight teams who do participate in this format.
BCCI sold the broadcasting and digital rights of IPL to Star India for the years 2018 to 2022. And the selling stock worth is US $2.55billion. After the 10th edition, the IPL has seen a spike of its brand valuation to the US $5.3billion.
There are also some major franchise cricket tournament are the Big Bash League ( BBL ) of Australia, the Pakistan Super League ( PSL ), the Caribbean Premier League, the Bangladesh Premier League etc…
TYPES OF FRANCHISE CRICKET
There are different formats of franchise cricket they are –
T10 and some domestic.
LIST OF SOME MAJOR FRANCHISE TOURNAMENT
INDIAN PREMIER LEAGUE
The world’s richest cricket franchise is the Indian Premier League ( IPL ). IPL is the domestic twenty20 league of India. It was introduced by BCCI in the year 2008 and gained the highest popularity.
Mumbai Indians is the most successful team of this league of having four-time of this title followed by Chennai super kings having three times of this title.
Mumbai Indians is the current trophy holder of this league.
Source :- ( IPLT20 )
BIG BASH LEAGUE
Big Bash League ( BBL ) is the twenty20 cricket league of Australia. There are 8 teams are playing in this league. This was introduced by the Australian cricket board in 2011.
The Australian cricket board is also conducting a woman’s BBL.
Sydney sixer is the current trophy holder of this league. Perth Scorchers are the most successful team of this league.
CARIBBEAN PREMIER LEAGUE
The Caribbean Premier League (CPL) is a cricket league, held in the Caribbean. The franchise-based domestic league is organized by West Indies Cricket Board. This came into existence in 2013 and replaced the Caribbean Twenty20.
Barbados Tridents are the current trophy holder of this league.
This is the first professional twenty20 cricket league introduced in the year 2003 by England and Wales cricket board. The current trophy holder of this league is Essex eagles. Surrey team is the first team to win the t-20 blast.
PSL is the Pakistan Super League. It is a domestic twenty20 league in Pakistan. It was introduced in the year 2015. the fan base of Pakistani cricket is increasing due to PSL. Currently, there are six teams who take part in this league.
Quetta Gladiators are the current trophy holder of this league.
MZANSI SUPER LEAGUE ( MSL )
The Mzansi Super League (MSL) is the domestic T20 cricket league played in South Africa. Founded by Cricket South Africa.
This League came into existence in the year 2018 as domestic and international cricketers from all over the globe participate in the tournament.
Six teams battle it out for the coveted trophy in the MSL. The second edition of the Mzansi Super League (MSL 2019) began November 8th. Jozi Stars were the winners of the inaugural season.
BANGLADESH PREMIER LEAGUE ( BPL )
The Bangladesh Premier League was formed in 2011 by the Bangladesh Cricket Board. This professional league consisting of seven franchises or you can say, seven teams.
Rajshahi Royals are the current trophy holder of this league. Team Dhaka Platoon played the most number of matches in BPL. And they are the most successful team of this league.
Global twenty20 is also called as GT20. The first edition of this tournament was held in 2018 in Canada. You can find some international players along with some Canadian players in this league.
COUNTRY WISE MAJOR FRANCHISE TOURNAMENT
The list is given below-
|Country||Tournament||Period||Current Trophy Holder|
|India||Indian Premier League (IPL)||2008–present||Mumbai Indians|
|Australia||Big Bash League (BBL)||2011–present||Sydney Sixers|
|Pakistan||Pakistan Super League (PSL)||2016–present||Quetta Gladiators|
|West Indies||Caribbean Premier League (CPL)||2013–present||Barbados Tridents|
|New Zealand||Super Smash||2005–present||Wellington Firebirds|
|England||T20 Blast||2003–present||Essex Eagles|
|South Africa||Mzansi Super League (MSL)||2018–present||Paarl Rocks|
|Bangladesh||Bangladesh Premier League (BPL)||2012–present||Rajshahi Royals|
|Sri Lanka||SLPL/Lankan Premier League||2012, TBD||Uva Next, N/A|
|Ireland, Scotland & Netherlands||Euro T20 Slam||2020–present||N/A|
|Afghanistan||Afghanistan Premier League (APL)||2018–present||Balkh Legends|
|World Level||Champions League Twenty20 (CLT20)||2009–2014||Chennai Super Kings|
Franchise Cricket without having the official t-20 status
GT20 is also called as Global twenty20. The first edition of this tournament was held in 2018 in Canada. You can find some international players along with some Canadian players in this league.
It is a 100 ball cricket tournament. Which is going to be introduced in the recent future by England and Wales cricket board.
EPL t20 is the Everest Premier League twenty20 introduced by some private limited. It was introduced in the year 2016. Six teams have participated in this tournament.
Hong Kong t20 Blitz
It is a professional cricket league introduced by Hong Kong in 2016. There are five teams who have participated in this tournament.
COUNTRY WISE ALL FRANCHISE TOURNAMENTS
- National cricket League Twenty20 ( 2010 )
- Victory Dy Twenty20 Cup ( 2013 )
- Bangladesh Premier League i.e. BPL ( 2012 – present )
- 2018-2019 Dhaka Premier Division twenty20 cricket League ( 2018 – 2019 )
- SLC twenty20 tournament ( 2004 – 2018 )
- SLC super provincial twenty20 ( 2008 – 2016 )
- Sri Lanka premier League ( 2011 – 2012 )
- Super four’s twenty20 ( 2014 )
- SLC t20 League ( 2018 )
- Lankan Premier League ( 2020 – present )
- East Africa Premier League ( 2011 – 2013 )
- National elite League Twenty20 ( 2008 )
- Shpageeza cricket league ( 2013 – present )
- AWCC twenty20 Cup ( 2015 )
- Etisalat sixes twenty20 tournament ( 2013 )
- Afganisthan Premier League ( 2018 – present )
- KFC twenty20 Big Bash ( 2005 – 2011 )
- Australian women’s twenty20 cup ( 2007 – 2015 )
- Big Bash League ( BBL ) ( 2011 – present )
- Women’s Big bash League ( 2015 – present )
- National Premier Twenty20 Championships ( 2018 – present )
- Twenty20 Cup ( 2003 – 2009 )
- Friends Life t20 ( 2010 – 2013 )
- Natwest t20 Blast ( 2014 – 2017 )
- Vitality Blast ( 2018 – present )
- Women’s cricket Super league ( 2016 – present )
- The Hundred ( 2020 – present )
- Pakistan Premier League ( 2007 – 2015 )
- Ramadan twenty20 cup ( 2013 )
- Pakistan Super League ( PSL ) ( 2016 – present )
- National twenty20 cup ( 2004 – present )
- Haier super eight twenty20 cup ( 2011 – 2015 )
- Indian Premier League ( IPL ) ( 2008 – present )
- Women’s T20 Challenge ( 2018 – present )
- T20 Mumbai League ( 2018 – present )
- Sayed Mushtaq Ali Trophy ( 2009 – present )
- Odisha Premier League ( 2011 – 2013 )
- Tamil Nadu Premier League ( 2016 – present )
- Karnataka Premier League ( 2009 – present )
- Indian Cricket League ( 2007 – 2009 )
- Inter-State women’s t20 championship ( 2009 – present )
- Haryana Premier League ( 2017 )
- Telangana t20 premier League ( 2018 – present )
- Rajwada Cricket League ( 2016 )
- New Zealand Cricket Women’s twenty20 championship ( 2007 – present )
- Super Smash twenty20 ( 2005 – present )
- Hong Kong t20 Blitz ( 2016 – 2019 )
- Dutch twenty20 cup ( 2007 – present )
West Indies :-
- Caribbean Premier League ( 2013 – present )
- Caribbean twenty20 ( 2010 – 2013 )
- Stanford twenty20 ( 2006 – 2008 )
- Stanford Super series ( 2008 )
- Inter – Provincial trophy ( 2013 – present )
- Africa t20 cup ( 2015 – 2018 )
- CSA Provincial t20 ( 2011-2016 , 2019 – present )
- Mzansi Super League ( 2018 – present )
- CSA Provincial women’s twenty20 cup ( 2015-2016)
- Global twenty20 league Canada ( 2018 – present )
- CIBC National Cricket League ( 2005 – present )
- American Twenty20 Championship ( 2011 )
- Dhangadhi Premier League ( 2017 – present )
- Everest Premier League t20 cup ( 2017 – present )
- Women’s champions league ( 2019 – present )
- Expert Prime Minister Cup ( 2018 – present )
- Pokhara Premier League ( 2018 – present )
- Murgitroyd twenty20 cup ( 2008 – present )
- Regional pro Series ( 2016 )
- MCA t20 championship ( 2014 – 2016 )
United Arab Emirates:-
- Master Champions league ( 2016 – present )
Ireland, Scotland and the Netherlands:-
- Euro twenty20 Slam ( 2020 – present )
Scotland and Netherlands:-
- North Sea pro series ( 2014 – 2015 )
In conclusion must say this type of cricket is gained the highest number of popularity in few decades. And franchise cricket provide a huge amount of profit to the conducting board.
Yes, it’s always a fear of cricket betting in franchise cricket. And franchise cricket had seen a lot of players involved in this scam and their carrier got spoiled.
Majorly the money comes from the sponsors, broadcasters and stake holders. However some part of the money is also come from the tickets.
According to stats Chennai Super Kings an IPL team is the best team around the globe.
This type of cricket create an opportunity for the young players to show their game and performs with and against world’s top players. Which eventually helps the young cricketer to enter into national team.