Well, this term Industry 4.0 is related to the industrial sector. This is used to mention the recent industrial revolution going on in the manufacturing stream.
Earlier human workers used to handle all the machineries and work day and night to earn for their life. But now recent technologies have developed in such a way that you can control all the industrial equipment’s through your mobile phone.
With the help of the internet of things, machine learning and big data will indeed help companies in creating a more holistic and more connected ecosystem. That will certainly help them in improving their manufacturing and supply chain management.
Above all the working processes of these companies may be different. But they all would want to have such a system that will keep them connected across their different stakeholders.
So now we will dig deeper into this industry 4.0 in this blog.
What’s in it for me?
- Evolution of industry
- Smart manufacturing use cases
- Whom this industry 4.0 is meant for
- Benefits of adopting industry 4.0
Evolution Of Industry:
Before we start digging deeper into this industry 4.0 more let us first try to understand how industrialization began in the year 1800s. However, there are four different industrial revolutions that the world has witnessed.
Firstly, this began in the early 1800s where manufacturing used to take place by manual laborers and with the help of animals. This was for the first time when the term industrialization was coined and many manufacturing process were started.
For instance, this revolution started in the 20th century. Certainly, the industrialization started with the use of steel and electricity which helped the industries increase their productivity. However, this was the first time where the concept of the assembly line was introduced to boost productivity.
Subsequently, starting in the late 1950s, a third industrial revolution slowly began to emerge and industries were transforming from industry 2.0 to 3.0. Moreover, as most manufacturers began using more electronic and computer technology in their factories.
Here during this period the manufacturers started experiencing the change in the manufacturing. That is shifting from conventional mechanical way to the digital transformation way and started using software’s too.
However, over the past few decades, this revolution has started here. Firstly in this concept, all the machines in the industries are connected with each other and they communicate with each other, to carry out the work this is achieved by IoT, machine learning, and big data. Further, in this process, it is easy for industries to improve their productivity. However, it is easy for them to identify the faults if found anywhere in the process.
Smart Manufacturing Use Cases:
In the above paragraphs, we said that industry 4.0 is all about smart manufacturing. So to understand smart manufacturing it is better to imagine the smart manufacturing processes in small businesses. Here below we have mentioned few smart manufacturing cases which can help you in understanding this.
Supply Chain Management
Industry 4.0 helps the industries to get the better data visibility, control and greater insight about their industry.
With the help of this, the industries can deliver their products faster to the market at a relatively cheaper price and with comparatively good quality. Which will increase the demand for that industry product in the market helping the industries to earn a better profit. This is why many industries prefer to move towards industry 4.0 so that they can compete with their competitors.
Therefore with the help of the IoT system set up at your factory, it is possible to take the precautionary measures for your factory equipment and conduct the regular maintenance of the machinery. So that now they function properly for a long period of time without causing harm to the production.
However, in conventional methods, we get to know about the problems in the machinery only after the breakdown. Which will reduce the factory output for that particular day, but using the IOT technology you can predict the performance of the machinery and take the required actions from time to time so that your factory output is not hampered much.
Asset Tracking And Optimization
With the help of IOT placed in our factory it is easy to track our assets in the factory not only of one factory but we can track our assets of our factories set up all over the world.
This will help us in understanding the logistics, inventories products manufactured and products sold out this will help us in knowing our supply chain management so that we can take up the necessary actions at right time and improve our production.
Whom This Industry 4.0 Is Meant For?
How to judge if this industry 4.0 is meant for us? Does this IOT based technology is really required for our industry is it the right time to invest In this technology lets check out.
Well you can consider in investing in this
- If you are into the industry which is a lot of technology-driven
- If it’s difficult for you to recruit people to work for you or if you are not getting skilled laborers to work for you then its better to adapt to such a technology that will reduce your burden and improve your productivity.
- Whether you want better visibility of your supply chain and if you want to handle your supply chain at your fingertips then you adopt such technologies.
- If you want to know about your machinery health before it turns out to be a big problem then you can consider going with this.
- If you want to have a better up to date information about your employee’s work history then you can go for this
- Therefore if you want richer and up to date analytical data
- If you want to improve your customer satisfaction then you can update yourself to this system.
- If you want to improve your business and want to be updated with your factory operations regularly then this is for you.
Benefits Of Adopting To Industry 4.0:
Industry 4.0 helps in many ways from maintaining the data of our supply chain till understanding the product life cycle. For instance, here is the list of some of the benefits of industry 4.0
- This helps you in managing your logistics and supply chain and move faster than your competitors
- It will make your company look more attractive for the young workforce because nowadays the younger generation would like to work with the modern industries so setting up such things can help you attract the young generation to work for you and this can ultimately improve your production capabilities.
- It will help in achieving the collaborations between the departments and this will indeed help in achieving better communication within the factory.
- This will help to solve the problems and address the issues before it becomes a major issue.
- This is a one-time investment later it will reduce your cost and it improves your productivity.
Here in this article we got to know about various industrial revolutions that took place over the period of time how industry 4.0 is different from all those revolution, what all changes is taking place in industry 4.0 how this can ultimately help industries in achieving their targets cut costs and improve productivity.
So if you are having a production company with good cash reserves then it is not bad to indulge yourself in this revolution. In the next upcoming blogs we will go through some of the interesting researches in going on in technology sector.
Meanwhile to get in touch with such exciting new technologies and recent evolution in manufacturing stream you can do check our blogs on 3d printing, construction in 3d printing, metal 3d printing, materials used in 3d printing.
This comes from a German word industry.4.0 this was first used in Germany when high tech manufacturing systems were used.
Interoperability, modularity, service oriented, real time capability and virtualization are the design principles.
RAMI 4.0 is reference architectural model industry 4.0
Over the past few decade this revolution has started here in this concept all the machines in the industries are connected with each other and they communicate with each other to carry out the work this is achieved by IOT, machine learning and big data, here in this process it is easy for industries to improve their productivity and it is easy for them to identify the faults if found anywhere in the process
Industry 4.0 is already being implemented in many industries and has a lot of examples some of them are adaptive controlling for electric arc welding, product development through simulation etc.
Well there is lot of discussion going on about this it is said that in industry 5.0 robots and smart humans will be used for working processes in industries.
I am a mechanical engineer very passionate in latest technology and recent advancement in the field of technology and also a active Stock market investor.