Well, everybody gets 24 hours in a day, nobody gets more, and nobody gets less. so why is it that some people are always struggling to manage their time, and end up like no time for themselves. Hence time management skills are required for everyone.
We will discuss about
- What are time management skills?
- Why do we need time management?
- Busy vs Effective person
- How to manage your time and achieve your goals?
What are Time Management skills?
Many people struggle to get free time for themself but they fail, on the other hand, others are utilizing there time properly and accomplish all the goals on time, and at the end of the day, they have a lot of time for themselves the difference between the two types of people is mastering the time management skills.
Time management is a skill of managing your time properly to be more productive and efficient. Time management helps us be more productive and good at our work.
Why do we need time management skills?
Well, there is a list of benefits when you can manage your time properly.
- Accomplish work on time: One of the most significant benefits of time management is you accomplish your work on time and get time for yourself.
- Always on time: You spend the whole day working, and after work for the entire day, you end up like not accomplished the work. Well, time management skills solve this problem effectively.
- Less Stress: When you accomplish your work on time, your stress level also decreases. Due to which your productivity increases your relationship and health also improves.
- Get more done: Time management increases your productivity so you will be better able to priorities your work and manage your workload better, which results in getting more work done in lesser time.
- Improves your reputation: When you start doing more than what accepted on time, it improves your reputation at work and helps you proceed in life.
- More time for family and yourself: Time management skills not only helps you to grow your professional life, but it also helps you to improve your personal life. Results in a better relationship, satisfaction, and happiness in life.
Busy vs Effective Person
There are two types of people one is busy, and the other is productive. If you are busy all the time, you will never be productive because productive people know how to manage their time and priories all the essentials and get in done on time.
Here are some difference between a busy and productive person which help you to become more productive.
- A productive person always sets priorities, while the busy one has no preference. Productive people focus on fewer things rather than getting engaged in doing too many things.
- Productive people have clarity about their goals, and they do it with full concentration while busy one thinks they are multitaskers and try to do many things at a time.
- Busy people work harder while productive people believe in working smarter.because they know time management skills.
- Non-productive people try to be good at everything they try to become all-rounder, whereas the productive ones are great at what they have focused.
How to manage your time and achieve your goals?
Before going deep into time management skills tips, we need to identify our time wasters. First, this little time-waster steals your time.
This time wasters need some techniques to identify and implement them correctly.Too Much Socialising
As we all know, social media is an excellent tool for spreading your brand awareness, your network to stay updated to the industry and to catch up with your friends and family.
One of the biggest time-waster in everyone’s life according to research, it is found that an average human spends about 118 min on social media unless if you are a social media manager. Research
We have to schedule the time we use social media and also need to block the notifications getting from social media site. This notification breaks the flow when we are into something productive.
Many people try to do multi-tasking and think it will improve their productivity, but in a search, it is found that multi-tasking decreases productivity.
In research, it is found that when you try to shift between two or multiple tasks, you are performing at the time, your attention expends in the process and results in the decrease of productivity.
Many times, we try to do things in a perfect way. Even after it is completed, we make revisions in order to make it perfect.
Remember, perfection is an impossible goal which kills your productivity. Focus on getting your work done instead of focusing on perfection.
It is found in a research that, to be more focused and concentrated on your work you need to be in an environment no louder than 50 decibels, and most offices are closer to 60 to the 65-decibel range.
Sounds of conversation, laughter and mobile phone ringtone can quickly wrench you out of focus.
Unhealthy eating habits: You might be thinking of how eating habit can waste my time. But your focus and your energy level are essential factors which affect your productivity.
And these two things depend on the food you are eating. If you are not eating healthy food, this will lead to a drop in your energy level and focus and result in lesser productivity.
Sometimes, when you have to do something which is not exciting or something you find harder to do you start procrastinating.
This leads to a decrease in your productivity and an increase in stress level.
To avoid procrastinating force yourself to start. As a writer, I used this technique instead of procrastinating. I force myself to start writing and worry about editing later.
To-do list can be a great way to keep track of outstanding tasks. This can be confusing, too short or too long and sometimes overcommitted too.
So, you need to follow some rules to make your list proper and productive.
The Urgent Important Matrix:
There is a difference between urgent and important things we need to understand this. Urgent things require your immediate action, but just because something is urgent, it doesn’t mean its important.
Our priority should always be what is important. For things which are urgent but not important, try to delegate this. If there is someone who can do this for you or if not do this later in order to the time management.
Things which are neither urgent nor important ignore them.
Urgent and Important: When there is a deadline for some important project and it needs to be done at the right time that it will come to the first quadrant.
Important but not Urgent: Things that come to this quadrant are also as important as the first one, but their deadlines are not closer, or you have some time to manage them like learning new skills or long term planning.
Urgent, not important: Try to delegate things fall in this quadrant or do it later. When you complete your 1st and 2nd quadrant. Things like phone calls, emails or favours from co-workers fall in this category.
Not urgent Not important: Try to ignore the tasks fall in this category. This is like browsing social media or any recreational activity. You entertain yourself or the time wasters which we already discussed above.
Pareto’s principle 80/20 Rule:
According to Pareto’s principle, 80% of results we are getting are because of the 20% action we have put into it.
This formula applies to every aspect of life so always put your efforts where they will make the most of the difference.
Apply this rule to improve your productivity find those 20% things which give you 80% of results instead of wasting your time on other 80%.
So to conclude, I want to say that if you want to get success in your life, learn how to manage your time. Learn to prioritize, learn to schedule and be the master of your time.
If you want a digital to-do list you can download google calendar it’s a good solution for those whose belief in time management skills.
Yes, there are apps to organise your time and keep you on track always some are
Remember The Milk
you can download this
This apps will help you to know where you are investing your time.
The major reason of stress in work is lower productivity and the only way to improve your productivity is time management.
Time management puts you in control and helps to manage your all the tasks accordingly and results in better productivity and lower stress.
In today’s era lives become so busy and hectic we forget to give time to our loves ones. we need to manage every aspect of life. Giving time to our loved ones is as important as giving time to our work.
Through time management we can schedule our time for family which will result in improving our relationships too.
I think it is the most important skill a student needs to learn because it helps students to prioritize their work and get their assignments and home work on time.
Its a great tools to deal with procrastination which is a major problem in students life.
Also read: Communication skills and its 5 Importance