Do you know Chess Game and its Rules? Yes, You know this Game. It is the popular game played all over the world. Do you know how to play Chess?
This game is played by two players on a checkered board with 16 pieces each with two different colors black and white.
Above all, This game played by millions of people all over the world. It is played from 7th century.
So in this blog I will discuss about this game that will teach you how to play which you can implement to improve your game.
Let’s Find Out-
Rules of Chess-
Chess have many different type of rules published by different governing bodies such as International, National or by unaffiliated chess organizations, Commercial publishers etc.
But rules published by FIDE(Federation International des Eches) were mostly recently revised in 2018.
Rules of Setup in Chess-
According to Chess Rules each player have 16 pieces in which first row contain 8 pieces with rook, knight, bishop, King, Queen, bishop, knight and rook and in second row contain 8 pieces of pawns as shown in the figure.
Chess have 32 pieces with two color black and white of 16 pieces each which contain 8 pieces of pawns, 2 bishops, 2 knights, 2 rooks, 1 king and 1 queen.
Therefore, The chess board contain with 64 squares with 8 by 8 grid with light and dark squares.
Therefore, the game is played on a square board of eight rows (denoted by 1 top 8 from bottom to top) and eight columns (denoted by a to h from right to left).
The chessboard contains 64 squares with dark and light squares. The chessboard is placed in such a way that right side corner should be Light Square that is h1 or a8 as shown in the figure.
Most importantly, the white queen should be places in Light Square and black queen should be places in Dark Square.
Rules of Movements in Chess-
According to Chess Rules as the game starts always white moves first and after which opponent player that is black move and the game goes on by move one by another.
However, each player is compulsory to move one piece at one time, And it is illegal to skip a turn, moreover no player can move two pieces at a time, one move with one chance.
Moreover each player has to move its piece at unoccupied squares or can move to occupies square by removing opponent piece by removing from the game.
But if the player may not make any move that would put or leave the player’s own king in check.
But player does not have any legal move to move its mean the player with no legal move, loss the game mean checkmate and if the king is in check, or stalemate is draw if the king is not.
Each and every piece has its own moves shown as follow-
- The king moves one square at any direction. Above all most importantly the king can do castling with rook this is his special move.
- The rook moves how many squares in horizontally or vertically but cannot leap over other pieces. And also have one special move with king that is they can castling with each other at once.
- The bishop moves how many squares diagonally but cannot leap over other pieces.
- The queen is the father of all the pieces and it is strongest of all pieces because it has power of rook and bishop. It can move how many squares but cannot leap over other pieces.
- The knight does not move horizontally, vertically, nor diagonally it moves in (L). However, The knight is only piece which can over leap other pieces.
- The pawn move forward in front of it on same file of square which should be unoccupied, or on very first move it can move two squares at a time, it also can capture opponent’s piece on a square diagonally in front of it.
Rules of Castling in Chess-
According to Chess Rules it is the special move moved by king and rook once in game it is known as castling. However, It consist of moving the king two squares along the first rank toward a rook.
But it has some conditions that king and rook neither previously moved during the game.
Nor any piece between the king and rook and also king cannot be in check or can the king pass through any square that is under attack by an enemy piece.
Rules of Check in Chess-
According to Chess Rules if the player may not make any move that would put or leave the player’s own king in check.
However, the king is attack by one or two pieces at a time it means check. And if the king has legal move to save from opponent attack than the king is saved.
Player does not have any legal move to move by the king so, its mean the player with no legal move losses the game mean checkmate and if the king is in check, or stalemate is draw if the king is not.
Rules of End of the Chess game-
According to Chess Rules player does not have any legal move to move by the king so, its mean the player with no legal move losses the game mean checkmate and if the king is in check, or stalemate is draw if the king is not.
History of Chess-
- Origins of modern game by knights templar playing chess from 1200-1700, Libro de les juegos during 1283.
- The Romantic Era in Chess, Francois-Andre Danican Philidor, During 18th century French chess master from 1700-1873.
- During 1851:The “Immortal Game”, Anderssen vs. Kieseritzky.
- After that Birth of a sport, Chess Players, Cairo by Stanislaw Chlebowski(1835-1884) from 1873-1945
- In 19th century at during 1924 the first Olympiad was held.
- The Women’s world Chess Championship was established during 1927.
- Post- World War ll era from 1945-present.
After that the death of Alekhine, a new world champion was sought. Therefore, FIDE which controlled the title. The winner of the 1948 tournament was Russian Mikhail Botvinnik.
Place in culture-
Noble chess players, Germant,c.1320.
Two kings and two queen from the Lewis chessmen(British Museum).
19th century decorative chess pawns, chess(Natinal Museum in Warsaw).
Large chess set in franklin Square, Tasmania.
A chess party with live figures(in Bitola, 1924).
Stages of Chess-
This game is divided in three stages like opening, middle, end Game.
So there are four opening strategy and which has to be done by every player so they are as follows-
- The first opening strategy is to develop the pieces like bishop and knights in right useful squares which gives good impact on game.
- So in the second opening strategy is to control the center squares of the board so that pieces have more squares to move.
- After that the third opening strategy is very important point to safe your king by castling the king with rook.
- The fourth opening strategy is to move pawn in such a way which protects each other in V – shape.
Middle game started when all the pieces are developed and in the situation when player can make further strategies according to the pieces are places.
In middle game player start attacking opponent pieces and tries to remove opponent pieces from the chess board and keep on going making further strategies to attack and attack the king with less risk of his pieces.
This is the last stage of game that who will win the game. There are three strategic way to end and win the game-
- This is first stage the pawns has become very important player of your pieces because pawn can be promote in any powerful pieces for example in Rook, Knight, Queen, Bishop.
- In second stage king becomes unproductive because of again and again attack from the opponent pieces so king has to brought to the center so that he can kill other pieces and can protect own pieces, and hinder moves to be taken of the opponent’s king.
- At the last player try to check mate to the opponent king by not giving any single legal move to protect the king.
Also check our Swimming as Sports Blog.
Examples of Best Players-
World Champion from-
From 2013: Magnus Carlsen
1993 – 2000: Garry Kasparov
2002-2004: Ruslan Ponomariov
1993–1999: Anatoly Karpov
2007 – 2013: Viswanathan Anand
2005-2006: Veselin Topalov
Comparison of National & International Rules-
So in today’s time all the rules of chess are same whether it is national or international. They are same all over the world and follow the rules given by World Chess Federation (FIDE). And there may be chance of different rules for each tournament for example time limit.
Above all its time to bind up this topic from my opinion this is the game of intelligence which helps the person to become mentally, psychology strong. And there are theories of course. Many would claim that humanity thrives on war.
A campaign was launched on Tuesday to have chess included as sports at the Paris Olympic Games 2024.
Yes, chess makes everyone smarter increases mentally and psychology strong.
Bishop move diagonal.
Rook moves horizontal and vertical.
Knight is between Rook and Bishop.
Whites pieces player always move first.