It is often seen that humans don’t learn with their past mistakes.WORLD War 2 was another bloodshed which occurred almost 20-22 years post ww1 which entirely changed the course of life later especially in European countries.
One major face which we associate with world war 2 is the German dictator of that time and prolly one of the most prominent figure of world history, (yes you guessed it right) Adolf Hitler.
And the second thing which pops up hearing of world war is the catastrophic Hiroshima nagasaki incident wounds of which are felt still today are meticulously covered in many war movies.
Buts that’s only one side of story, there are still many things we still don’t know. So lets see a holistic coverer of that abysmal affair. Lets get started with detailed analysis year by year :
What we are to learn:
- HOW ASIA BEGAN
- EARLY EVENTS LEADING TO WAR IN EUROPE
- INDIA’S ROLE IN WAR
- AFTERMATH OF WAR
- FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
World war 2 is also known as global and total war because of total involvement of all the major nations of the world.
Started on 1 September 1939 (however some historians believes it started on 1937 by sino japanese war) and ended on august 1945.
Almost 6-8 crore were dead which included majority of civilians and is labelled as one of the deadliest conflict in human history.
- Militarism in japan started to grow rapidly.
- The unjust treaty of VERSAILLES (post world war in 1919)
- DEMANDS of imperialism – NEW imperialist which included Germany and japan and old ones which included Britain and France
- Mussolini: Italian dictator started a new era of rise of nationalism in itlay
- Failure of league of nations which was a post product of treaty of Versailles
- Bad blood between countries due to boundaries assigned (again during treaty of Versailles).
- RISE of ADOLF HITLER (most important) and NAZI
- Superiority complex
- Restoring the glory of fatherland
HOW ASIA BEGAN
- Japan’s ambition to control Asia (increasing imperialism)
- Japan invaded Korea in 1910 and attacked Manchuria (a region in north china) in 1931
- Which started war between major Asian powers between china(which itself was undergoing civil war between nationalist and communist) and japan.
- Finally SINO JAPANESE war started on 1937.
See also : CHINA VS USA TRADE WAR
EARLY EVENTS LEADING TO WAR IN EUROPE
- Germany signed a pact with japan
- According to treaty of Versailles, RHINELAND which was a place between germany and FRANCE
- Was to remain free from all military activities to hinder Germany from attacking France. But Hitler started remilitarisation there
- Germany and Italy too signed a pack known as Rome Berlin axis
WHAT FOLLOWED IN 1938
Germany started annexing parts of Austria and Czechoslovakia (as he believed it to part of Germany)
ALSO LEARN ABOUT INDIA PAKISTAN WARS
WHAT FOLLOWED IN 1939
- Germany completely captured Czechoslovakia in march 1939 and then started looking for expanding to other countries and first in the list was POLAND which was way bigger compared to its earlier annexes . Secondly , POLAND had the backing of two European superpowers ( Britain and France )
- A very important pact was signed between Germany and the mighty USSR which was known as MOLOTOV RIBBENTROP PACT in which they decided not to attack each other.
- And guess what, Germany attacked Poland in which USSR helped Germany and they attacked too from east Poland
- And since France and England supported Poland they declared war on Germany.
WHAT FOLLOWED IN 1940
- Germany again attacked and invaded Denmark and Norway and simultaneously attacked Belgium and Netherlands
- USSR too attacked and invaded Baltic states and Finland
- And since Italy and Germany signed a pact, so it had to invade France in June 1940 and then Germany too invaded France and in mere 4 days made paris fall on 14june.
- Next in line was BRITAIN, war was mainly fought by air force by war planes (is known as first air warfare).
- Japan, Germany and Italy signed a pact (tripartite) which made them AXIS POWERS (which was later joined by Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria)
ALSO LEARN ABOUT :COLD WAR
WHAT FOLLOWED IN 1941
During June 1941, axis powers retaliated to USSR
Hitler’s idea was to take part of USSR because he believed they needed more space to live and Germany ain’t that big and what better than huge USSR . So what stopped the lunatic Hitler from pursuing his thoughts ….it was a terrible winter that followed and blocked German army to where they were .
Now, what was happening in other part of world THE PACIFIC
Meanwhile japan captured huge parts of china . And after joining AXIS POWER it jumped one step and started attacking Indonesia, Singapore,honking, Burma , Vietnam, and philippines which were already colonies of European nations and USA .
And even bombarded Australia many times.
JAPAN possessed a very strong naval army at that time, and was busy attacking other colonies which made USA thinking twice of sending their oil resource to japan (which was a major source of energy for them) and eventually they stopped their supply completely to japan, which made japan fizzle out and what followed was the very famous THE PEARL HARBOUR ATTACK.
Japan’s RETALIATION: THE PEARL HARBOUR ATTACK:
Japan on December 7 and 8 carried attacks on multiple location of USA AND UK.
Largest one being the pearl harbour in Hawaii which killed more than 2500 naval men in one day which shooked them completely
Other attacks were simultaneously being carried out in Malaysia, phillipines Australia and Papua new guinea
MIGHTY USA ENTERS WORLD WAR 2 in 1942:
The pearl Harbor incident forced USA to participate in war and from 1942 -44 fought several wars with japan through the pacific and south east Asia.
And finally was able to defeat japan in battle of midway and Guadalcanal which were islands in pacific oceans.
1942 WHAT HAPPENED IN RUSSIA and GERMANY SETBACK
Russians managed to push Germans out of their boundary which caused heavy loss of life and war crimes boomed in eastern European front.
Meanwhile, allies pushed Germany and Italy from Libya and finally from Tunesia in 1943.
Now, for a second i want your attention for the deadliest HOLOCAUST thinking of which still hurts today.One of the most disturbing incident of world war 2 .
Millions of Jews, gypsies, homosexuals, handicapped , prisoners of war were all sent to gas chambers, labour camps, death camps were their condition was even worse than animals, they were not fed so that they could die working. What a satanist thinking.
It result in almost 10 million deaths.
ALSO LEARN ABOUT : BATTLE OF PANIPAT
During world war 2 seeing the loss of Germany and Italy in northern Africa too, ALLIED army attacked on island of SICILY and later Italy.
The itlaian dictator Benito Mussolini was finally deposed and arrested and allied army began gaining control.
WHAT HAPPENED IN 1944
Now, since the ALLIED armies have an upper hand over the AXIS army
- Germany was liberated from eastern Europe
- Allied army gained control of northern Italy.
- Allied navy gets closer to japan
THE FINAL BLOW
- On 6th June 1944 , allied army landed in France and freed Germany from France and it was carried through amphibious landing.
- 10 months later :
- On April 29 Germany surrendered and a day after HITLER commits suicide( with his wife).
- And this day was celebrated as victory day
- Asian countries Burma, Indonesia and philippines were retaken by allies.
- Now, lets talk of the most talked incident of world war 2.
HIROSHIMA NAGASAKI BOMB BLASTS:
After defeating Germany and Italy , the only stones unturned were the Japanese and in ordered to invade japan USA couldn’t risk the amphibian land which it did in Germany . As it could risk many more lives considering japan was a island .
So the USA army thought of why not use the nuclear bombs which would save them time and their peoples lives too in world war 2.
Keeping the above points in mind two successive bomb blasts were carried out in the city were industrial cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki which were backbone of japanese soldiers on 6th and 9th august respectively.
And finally japan surrendered on august 15, 1945.
INDIA’S ROLE IN WORLD WAR 2
As India war still the British colony , it unwillingly had to fight in behalf for Britishers despite the quit India movement for world war 2. Almost 2.5 million soldiers took part and nearly 80k died ,which is a pity. 3 million died in Bengal due to famine as Britain stopped supplying rice there .
AFTERMATH OF WORLD WAR 2
- Rise of superpowers USA and USSR and their cold war which lasted till 1991
- Division of Germany and formation of BERLIN WALL (lasted till 1990)
- Population transfer in huge quantities.
- Heavy loss of resources all over Europe.
- BRITAIN and France both were no longer superpowers.
- Formation of united nations
- Division of Korea into north and south Korea
- Formation of Israel in middle east
- World war 2 led to formation of new global powers.
Wounds of this war can be still felt till date in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Children that gets born there still have those genetic mutation in their genes which results in their physical and mental retardness. They must be thinking what have done to deserve this ( if little babies can). Wars have a long term effect to our societies and planet as a whole.
We humans can do nothing but learn from our past (which we didn’t of world war 1) and try correcting our mistakes and keep walking to a happy and peaceful future.
Keep learning, keep growing.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1.When was world war 2 started?
2.Why was ww2 started?
3.What were axis countries during world war 2?
4.Which countries were in allied powers during world war 2?