We all take care of various things in our life, such as our work, studies, relationship, eating habits, physical exercise, etc. But in such a rush, we forget to take care of our skin. They also need your attention and care.
We all love our skin and we do certain skincare routines to nourish it every day. It is indeed important. Whether it is a normal day, you have to attend a meeting or wedding ceremony, or you want to chill out with friends, you want your skin to look perfect, shiny, and clean.
So here we will be talking about two particular types of skins and see what are the best face wash available in the market that can help to cleanse your skin.
What’s in it for you?
- Types of Skin
- Why this Oiliness?
- Tips to Have Oil and Acne-Prone Free Skin
- Things to Consider Before Buying Face wash for Oily and Acne-Prone Skin
- 10 Best Face wash for Oily and Acne-Prone Skin in India
- Frequently Asked Questions
Types of Skin
We all have different types of skin and every skin type has its particular problem to face. So before going into discussing the remedies and best face wash available for you, let us first see the types of skin we get to see in each other.
Skin is broadly classified into 5 types:
- Normal skin
- Dry skin
- Oily skin
- Combination skin (some areas are dry and some areas are oily)
- Sensitive skin
Why this Oiliness?
Since we will only be focusing on oily and acne-prone skin, let us see why this oiliness builds in our face before discussing the best face wash for you.
In our skin’s dermal layer, an oil-producing gland is present, known as the sebaceous gland. This gland helps in keeping our skin moisturized. They create a thin layer of oil in our skin which is very important for the skin’s health.
But sometimes, due to some reasons, this sebaceous gland becomes proactive and starts producing oil (which is also known as sebum) in excess amount. Due to this only your skin becomes more oily, greasy, and sticky.
Now, what’s the harm in this?
This excess oiliness clogs your skin pores from dirt and dead skin cells that will lead to pimples and acne-prone skin. This oiliness is mostly present in the T-zone of your face that is forehead, nose, and chin. It might also happen that your whole face is oily.
Our sebaceous glands or oil-producing glands are mostly concentrated on our faces. That is why your face looks oilier. Those who have oily skin are more prone to pimples or acne. Such kind of skin starts looking dull.
But why does this happen?
Why does some people’s skin produce more oil?
- The type of skin you have is mostly dependent on your genetics. If your family members have oily skin or have pimples then you might also have the same.
- Puberty and hormonal fluctuations during pregnancy or the menstrual cycle can also cause oily skin.
- Apart from these, your lifestyle, habit, and environment also play a major role in making your skin oily. If you stay in a humid and hot weather place then also your skin may be oily. Again, if you eat more oily and junk food and do not follow a consistent skincare routine to keep your skin look fresh, then also your skin may become oily. This makes your skin look shiny and even dull.
Tips to Have Oil and Acne-Prone Free Skin
So let us see some of the tips that will help look your skin oil-free or in controlling it along with applying the best face wash.
- Always cleanse your skin properly. Now, how to do it? If your face is oily then use an oil-free cleanser to clean your skin.
You can use cleansers that contain 2% salicylic acid, 4%benzoyl peroxide, alpha hydroxyl or beta hydroxyl acid-based, or hyaluronic acid-based cleanser. Tea tree-based oil-free cleanser is also a very good option.
Take a cleanser on the tip of your finger and apply it gently to your face. Then wash it with lukewarm water. Mark here; do not use very hot water to wash your face. While washing your face, do not use a scrub.
I know you would want to scrub your face to remove the oiliness. But doing this every time will lead to loss of oil from your face in excess amount and your skin will look drier.
Cleanse your face 2 times a day, once in the morning and the other in the evening either before going to bed or after coming from the office. Not more than that. If you do it more than 2 times then your skin will start realizing that it is becoming drier and then it will start producing more oil.
- After cleansing your skin with the best face wash, moisturize it. You might think, “Why moisturize my skin? It is already oily.” This is just your myth. You should apply a light moisturizer to your face. You should not apply heavy and oily cream or oily moisturizer.
Use lotion, hydrating moisturizers, gel-cream with hyaluronic acid, or aloe vera ceramides. This moisturizer helps balance the hydration in your face and do not let your oil glands produce more oil.
- Do not use a toner on your face. But if you want to, then use an alcohol-free toner. At the same time keep in mind not to use a toner in the acne-prone areas of your face.
- Use sunscreen to protect your skin from the direct sun rays. There are various types of sunscreen available in the market for every type of skin. For oily skin, I would suggest you use gel-based, matt finish, mineral, or water-based sunscreen.
Apply it on your face before 15-20 minutes of going out. Make sure your sunscreen is a broad-spectrum sunscreen with SPF 15-30 minimum. Also, it is important to apply it every 2-3 hours.
- Do not scrub your face every day. If you want to then do it in 8-10 days that also very gently. That will help remove the dead cells from your face and make it healthy.
- If your face is oily then use only those skin products that are good and made for oily skin. For example, oil-free, water-based, or gel-based products. I have mentioned the 10 best face wash for oily and acne-prone skin in India. You can go with anyone.
- If you do makeup then only use oil-free makeup. Also, make sure you remove your makeup properly before going to bed with any mild cleanser.
- If your skin is oily then make sure that you change the pillow cover from time to time. This makes sure that the oiliness and bacteria will not accumulate in your facial skin. You have to prevent the bacteria built up in your oily skin so that you will not face any acne or pimple breakouts.
- It is important to take care of your oily skin but it is also important to have a balanced diet. At the same time, you also need to do exercise daily. Many scientific pieces of research say that eating refined food, sugary food, soft drinks, aerated cold drinks, sweets, chocolates, dairy products such as cheese, milk, ice-cream, etc triggers oiliness in your face.
So if your oiliness increases from such foods then you should either avoid eating those or consume them in fewer amounts. Eat fresh fruits, vegetables, pulses, salad, sprouts, etc, and have a balanced diet.
This will internally detoxify your body and your skin will ultimately glow. Also, drink 2-3 litres of water and keep your skin hydrated. This hydration will reduce your acne and pimples on your skin.
- If your skin is very oily, then you can use some medicated creams like retinol or vitamin A. Retinols are very useful to treat acne in your skin. To control oiliness in your skin you have to use less retinol concentrated cream.
You can also take chemical pills by getting a recommendation from any skin specialist. But you do not need to go for pills treatment. With a very good skincare routine and balanced diet, you can treat your oily skin very well.
Things to Consider Before Buying Face Wash for Oily and Acne-Prone Skin
You should not buy any face wash randomly. There are many factors that you should consider before buying a face wash. Many companies are manufacturing face wash of various elements, types, and combinations.
So how to find which one is the best face wash for you?
Whom to trust?
After all, it is about your skin which is very essential to be taken care of. So, here are some of the factors that you should check upon before buying any face wash from any company.
- Type of skin – The very first and foremost thing to do is to find out what is the type of your skin. I have mentioned all types of skin in the first section. Please have a look at it and find out which is your type.
Companies manufacture face wash for all skin types. So if you have oily skin, then go for the one that is meant for specifically your skin type (all the best face wash name is mentioned in the last section). Similarly, it goes for dry skin, sensitive skin, normal skin, and combination skin.
- Ingredients – This is a very important thing to consider while buying the face wash. You cannot simply buy any face wash just because it matches your skin type. You should also check the ingredients present in it.
Go for the best face wash that contains natural ingredients such as tea tree oil, aloe vera, etc. Do not buy soap-based formula as they dry your skin.
- Fragrance-free formulas – Avoid those face wash that contain perfume or fragrance in their ingredients list. This is because synthetic fragrance causes irritation, rashes, and redness in your skin.
- Quality – You should buy only those face wash that are clinically tested and dermatologically approved. Those are the best face wash that will not lead to irritation in your skin.
- User reviews – This you should not only check in face wash but for every product your buy. User review is a must because their experience will tell whether it is the best face wash for your skin or not.
It helps you gain an idea of how the product is and you can easily evaluate its pros and cons.
- Smart shopping – Do not get influenced and buy the face wash just because it is advertised by the celebrity. They get paid for it that is why they advertise it.
Get influenced by the ingredients in it. If it has the correct ingredients and suits you then only buy it as it will be the best face wash for you.
10 Best Face Wash for Oily and Acne-Prone Skin
After knowing your skin type, let us look into some of the best face wash available in the Indian market. Before telling you about the best face wash let me make you clear that the big brands that are manufacturing the face wash such as ponds, clean and clear, glow and lovely, etc, are not good for your skin.
You might be shocked by listening to this but yes this is the truth. These brands use many artificial chemicals as their ingredients to make face wash. If you have it in your home then do check the ingredients. You will be clear with the fact.
I already said in the above section what should and should not be there as an ingredient in any face wash. And since they use a lot of artificial chemicals, they are not good for your skin.
People do not read the information given in the product and due to lack of knowledge about it, they end up buying them thinking just because it is manufactured by some renowned brand it will be the best face wash.
Now the question arises if the companies are aware of the fact that artificial chemicals are not good for the skin then why are they using them as an ingredient?
There are two main reasons behind it:
- Artificial chemicals are very cheap in the market and hence they incur less manufacturing cost.
- Natural ingredients need a lot of handle and care to use it as an ingredient.
- So, you must be thinking then what are the best face wash apart from these? There are many available in the market that is far better than these brands’ face wash. I have mentioned some of them.
Greenberry Organic Detox Charcoal Face Wash
- Skin type – It is good for all skin types. People with oily, dry, normal, sensitive, and combination skin can use it. Men and women both can use it. It is one of the best face wash available in the market.
- Key Ingredients – It contains green tea extracts, vitamin C, and charcoal and is an ayurvedic face wash. The good part is, it is chemical-free which is very good for your skin.
- Product highlight – It helps in treating acne and marks removing all the spots from your skin. At the same time, it exfoliates, clarifies, and soothes the skin from any irritation. It also heals the cracked skin and controls the acne-causing sweat bacteria.
- Price – Rs. 329.
Aroma Magic Neem Face Wash
Skin type – This is our second best face wash. It is good for oily, acne-prone, and combination skins. Again it is good for both men and women.
Key Ingredients – These are 100% free of paraben, soap, alcohol, artificial colouring, and fragrance. Hence, it is a chemical-free face wash.
Product highlight – It helps in acne control and oil balancing. The neem extracts help in moisturizing the skin and makes it soft. Also, the rose extract helps reducing scars, burns, and other skin blemishes. It also helps in preventing blackheads and skin irritation with a blend of tea tree and lavender essential oil.
Price – Rs 125 – 140.
Mamaearth Charcoal Face Wash
- Skin type – It is good for oily skin, can be used by both men and women, and is the third-best face wash in the market.
- Key Ingredients – Contains activated charcoal and coffee and walnut to remove toxins. No harmful toxins and chemicals are used. There are no silicones, parabens, mineral oil, and dyes.
- Product highlights – Activated charcoal draws out all the dirt, dust, impurities, makeup, etc, from your face and makes it more fresh and clean. It also helps remove excess oil from your face which is your major concern without irritating the skin and making it over dry. Again, it also helps in removing dead skin cells restoring your fresh and glowing skin. This face wash is dermatologically tested and pH balanced.
- Price – Rs. 249
Wow Skin Science Vitamin C Face Wash
- Skin type – This is our fourth best face wash. It is good for all skin types and can be used by both men and women.
- Key Ingredients – It is enriched with natural ingredients like mulberry extracts, lemon and orange essential oils, vitamin C, and liquorice extracts.
- Product highlights – This face wash is an advanced skin brightening and anti-ageing cleanser. The vitamin C present in it helps to restore your skin. Mulberry and liquorice extracts help to lighten your skin tone. At the same time, lemon and orange essential oil help detoxify, clear and refine your skin. Also, it helps reduce sebum production in our skin.
- Price – Rs. 399
StBotanica Vitamin C Face Wash
- Skin type – Our fifth best face wash is StBotanica Vitamin C face wash. Again this face wash is good for all skin types and can be used by both men and women.
- Key ingredients – It is enriched with vitamin C, glycerine, lemon peel, turmeric, and neem extracts, and Kashmiri saffron. There all the products are free from phthalates, parabens, sulfates, and other toxic chemicals.
- Product highlights – The deep cleansing action of face wash removes all dirt and impurities from your face and makes it fresh and clean. This also helps in increasing skin hydration, softness, and radiance.
- Price – Rs. 399
Urban Botanics Neem and Tea Tree Face Wash
- Skin type – It is good for all skin types used by both men and women and is the sixth-best face wash.
- Key ingredients – The face wash is free from all toxic chemicals such as sulfates, silicones, parabens, phthalates, and artificial colours. They include many natural ingredients such as neem, basil, and tea tree that nourishes your skin and are good for its health.
- Product highlights – It helps reduce your acne and pimples. At the same time, it nourishes and moisturizes your skin by deep cleansing and removing all impurities from your face. It gives your skin glowing, radiance and your skin feel refreshing, smooth, and soft.
- Price – Rs. 249
Globus Natural Glycolic Acid & Salicylic Acid Face Wash
- Skin type – This is our seventh best face wash in the market. It is good for all skin types and can be used by both men and women.
- Key ingredients – It includes glycolic and salicylic acid, vitamin E, and aloe vera extracts which are very good for your skin. No fragrance and toxic chemicals are included in the ingredients.
- Product highlights – The presence of aloe vera and vitamin E makes your skin feel nourished post-cleansing. Also, the face wash helps clean the skin deeply, clear marks and hyperpigmentation, and your skin does not feel stretchy after wash. This face wash also helps remove dead skin cells, reduces inflammation related to acne, minimize the appearance of wrinkles, and improve skin texture.
- Price – Rs. 166
Dermafique Acne Avert Cleansing Mousse
- Skin type – It is good for oily, acne-prone, sensitive, and combination skins. This face wash can be used by both men and women and is the eighth-best face wash.
- Key ingredients – Enriched with Bio-Intel system, oil-free, silicone-free, soap, and paraben-free face wash and is dermatologically tested.
- Product highlights – This face wash impedes acne pustules and reduces the growth of acne. The Bio-Intel system disrupts biofilms formed by acne-causing bacteria. It also unclogs pores, heals blemishes, and remove excess oil.
- Price – Rs. 449
Rejuglow Face Wash
- Skin type – Our ninth-best face wash is Rejuglow face wash. It is good for oily, dry, and acne-prone skin and can be used by both men and women.
- Key ingredients – Face wash contains aloe vera, glycolic acid, witch hazel extracts, salicylic acid, and vitamin E. No toxic chemicals are included in the ingredients.
- Product highlights – It helps reduce acne in your skin and controls oil due to the presence of salicylic acid in the face wash. Also, due to glycolic acid, your skin will glow, acne spots and pigmentation will be removed. At the same time, the presence of aloe vera, hazel extracts, and vitamin E help remove acne pimples, blackheads, and whiteheads. This face wash is in gel form and does not produce much foam.
- Price – Rs. 234
Forest Essentials Kashmiri Saffron and Neem Delicate Facial Cleanser
- Skin type – Last but not least, this is the tenth face wash in our best face wash list. This face wash is good for all types of skin and both men and women can use it.
- Key ingredients – The ingredients used in this face wash are very unique and very healthy for your skin. It does not contain any toxic chemicals that will damage your skin. It contains steam distilled rose water, marigold water, jasmine water, Kewada Water, Neem Infusion, Organic Honey, Nagkesar, Anantmool, Pure Saffron Extract, and Kumud. Also, it is SLS free, mineral oil, sulfate, and paraben-free. It comes in liquid form.
- Product highlights – This face wash gently cleans your face and removes all the toxins, dirt, and dust from the surface of your face. Also, it moisturizes, purifies, and adds a natural glow to your skin. So this is the best face wash you can have for your skincare.
- Price – Rs. 1,250.
So these were the top 10 best face wash for oily and acne-prone skin in India. You must have noticed that I have not mentioned the top MNC brands such as ponds, clean and clear, glow and lovely, etc, because as I already told you that they do not manufacture good face wash.
As they are not good for your skin because it contains many toxic chemicals that damage your skin. So next time if you go to buy any face wash, have a check on the main points I have mentioned that you should consider before buying.
I hope this information was helpful to you. I tried giving as much information as I can. The last thing to say, take care of your skin daily. They need nourishment and care. So, perform your skincare routine daily.
Frequently Asked Questions
Some of the best face wash or cleanser for oily and acne-prone skin are:
1. Greenberry Organic Detox Charcoal Face Wash
2. Aroma Magic Neem Face Wash
3. Mamaearth Charcoal Face Wash
4. Wow Skin Science Vitamin C Face Wash
5. StBotanica Vitamin C Face Wash
6. Urban Botanics Neam and Tea Tree Face Wash
7. Globus Natural Glycotic Acid & Salicylic Acid Face Wash
8. Dermafique Acne Avert Cleansing Mousse
9. Rejuglow Face Wash
10. Forest Essentials Kashmiri Saffron and Neem Delicate Facial Cleanser
Yes, oily and acne-pro skin do need a moisturizer. It is a myth that oily skin don’t need moisturizer as the face is already oily. i have explained in detail why you need moisturizers in the ‘tips to control oiliness’ section. Wash your face with one of the best face wash and then moisturize your skin.
Some treatments for oily and acne-prone skin that you can do at home are:
1. Keep your skincare essentials at home such as tea tree oil, neem, aloe vera, etc. Do not apply garlic. It can cause burning sensations.
2. Go for Multani Mitti as an alternative to salicylic acid.
3. To reduce swelling, apply ice on your face.
4. Do not mix too many ingredients. Be careful while mixing it.
Do not over-wash your face. It can remove the oil layer from your skin and make it dry and irritation may happen. At the same time, your face will start secreting more oil.
1. Coola Face Mineral Sunscreen Unscented Matte Tint SPF 30.
2. Avene Very High Protection Sunscreen Emulsion SPF 50+.
3. Kiehl’s Ultra Light Daily UV Defense Mineral Sunscreen SPF 50 PA+++.
4. Supergoop! 100% Mineral Smooth & Poreless Matte Screen SPF 40.
5. Clinique Acne Solutions BB Cream Broad Spectrum SPF 40.
6. Kaya Ultra Light AquagelSunscreen SPF 25.
7. Bioderma Photoderm AKN Mat SPF 30.