Do you know Table Tennis Game and its Rules? Yes, You know this Game. This game is very popular and played all over the world. Do you know how to play this game?
We play this game on the table with the help of small racket and light weighted ball. And we also know this game by ping – pong.
And we can play this game with 2 or 4 players. We divided the table into two equal parts with help of net.
In this game the player has to hit the ball in such a way that ball bounce on the opponent side and the opponent has to hit the ball after the ball bounces once on his side as per the rules.
The player gets the point when the opponent player does not able to hit the ball as per the rules.
By the British military officers in India, They developed this game in 1860’s and 1870’s. First they played this game with the help of books, they made the row of books as the net and took one – one book as a racket and played with golf ball.
In 1988 this game was included in Olympics Games.
So in this blog I will discuss about this game that will teach you how to play which you can implement to improve your game.
Let’s Find Out-
- History of Table Tennis
- Equipment of T.T
- Game Play
- Type of Spin in Table Tennis
- Examples of Best Players
History of Table Tennis–
- This game was developed during 1860’s and during 1870’s by the British military officers in India.
- First they played this game with the help of books, they made the row of books as the net and took one – one book as a racket and played with golf ball.
- After that in 1901 they initially called as ping – pong after that they called as table tennis during 1920.
- After that in 1901 James W. Gibb who innovated the ball which is called celluloid.
- And during 1901 E . C . Goode who invented the racket with the help of wooden blade, rubber, stippled and a sheet of pimpled.
- After that in 1902 the unofficial world championship was help after this game had become popular.
- The Table Tennis Association was founded during 1921 and was renamed to English Table Tennis Association during 1926.
- The World Championships was held during 1926 in London.
- USA Table Tennis was formed during 1933.
- The rubber sheet combined with the underlying sponge layer in 1950 which turns the game into the next label because of develops in speed and spin of the ball.
- In 1980 when they start using the speed glue which helps to increase the speed and spin to the next level.
- During 1988 the game was included in Olympics Games.
- In 2000 on words, the rules were changed so that the game could be more fast – played and exiting and the size of the ball also changed from 38 mm to 40 mm.
Equipment of Table Tennis–
Rules of Ball in Table Tennis-
According to the rules of Table Tennis the ball of must be of 2.7 grams and it must be 40 mm in diameter.
The rules says that when we dropped the ball from 30.5 cm height the ball must bounce up to 24 – 26 cm in the air.
Which they made up of a celluloid but now they made up of polymer from 2015. And they fixed the color of the ball and the color of the ball must be of white or orange according to the color of the table.
The color of the ball is fixed because it had seen that white and orange color is more visible. The size of the ball changed in 2000 after the Olympic Games from 38 mm to 40 mm in diameter.
Rules of Table in Table Tennis-
According to the rules of Table Tennis the table of is made up of wooden with the height of 76 cm and 152.5 cm width, 274 cm long.
The table is divided into two equal parts with the help of net. The height of the net is 15.25 cm and it is over hang to 15.25 cm.
The table surface can be made up of any continuous material so that the ball must bounce up to 23 cm when the ball is dropped from 30.5 cm height.
The surface of the table should be dark in color so that the ball should visible easily.
All the table of are approved by the ITTF for the tournaments.
Rules of Racket in Table Tennis-
According to the rules of Table Tennis the racket is made up of wood, cork, glass fiber, carbon fiber, aluminium fiber, Kevlar.
The wooden portion is known as blade and in this there should be 85% of natural wood with the size of 17 cm long and 15 cm wide.
The racket has two surfaces with each side rubber. Each side has different type of spin and speed facilities. Both the side surface rubber has two different colors with red and black.
The player has full right to inspect the opponent’s racket before the match to check the type of rubber and color.
According to the rules, the racket is only being changed unless the racket is not damaged any time during the match.
In British the racket is called ‘bat’ and ‘paddle’ in U.S and Canada.
Also check our Basketball Blog.
Rules of Table Tennis to Start the Game-
According to the rules of Table Tennis the game is started by service but according to ITTF rule it is decided that by toss the coin between the players is decided that which player will service first.
And it is also decided that which player will take which side of the table to play the game. These all type of things is decided before the game started.
Rules of Service and Return in Table Tennis-
According to the rules of Table Tennis when the player serving the ball, the ball should be in opposite hand from the other hand holding racket.
At the time of serving the ball is tosses directly upwards without spin at least 16 cm height in the air and then hits the ball from the racket in such a way that ball must first touches his court and then touches opponent court directly without touching the net assembly.
The umpire keeps on checking all the time. If the server illegal’s the service than the umpire gives warning to the server and if he does the same illegal service again then the umpire gives the point to the receiver.
After the server service the ball the receiver has to hit the ball quickly before the ball touches the table second time.
The receiver has to hit the ball in such a way that ball does not touches his court and touches the server court directly with or without touching the net assembly.
And then the server and receiver much keep on playing until the rally is over.
Rules of Scoring in Table Tennis-
The opponent gets the score by the following ways –
- When the service or return is fails by the player.
- When ball touches the hand or the fingers of the player in which they hold the racket.
- And when the ball touches the side if the racket blade which does not covered by the rubber.
- When they obstructed the ball.
- When the playing surface is touched by the player’s free hand.
- If the server illegal’s the service than the umpire gives warning to the server and if he does the same illegal service again then the umpire gives the point to the receiver.
A player who scores 11 point first will win the match unless both players score 10 points. A player won the first round will get the lead of 2 points.
Type of Spin in Table Tennis-
Spin is the type of technique which causes major changes in game-play. This technique is used by the players so that the opponent cannot defend.
There are many type of spins such as backspin, topspin, side spin, cork spin. The player can learn these technique by doing practice of these techniques with the help of trainer.
Examples of Best Players-
- Ma Long
- Jan – Ove Waldner
- Zhang Jike
- Liu Guoliang
- Kong Linghui
- Ichiro Ogimura
- Fan Zhendong
- Wang Liqin
- Zoran Primorac
- Xu Xin
This game is popular indoor game which is played on the table with the help of racket. This is wonderful game which can be played at the time of rainy season or bad weather conditions.
While playing this game the new skills can be developed, it is an intelligence game because of the use of mind. By this game new spins techniques can be learned which improves the game of the player.
The table tennis was originated in Victorian England.
The table tennis was invented in 15th July 1890.
The table tennis was included in Olympic Games in 1988.
The table tennis ball is in white and orange color so that the ball should be visible clearly to the players.