A Water purifier is now a necessity of every household. We all should have access to clean & bacteria-free water. But, in many parts of India, people are dependent on groundwater or water tanker, and the quality of water from those sources is not good. And, they need the best water purifier for cleansing of water. If you in search of a purifier either to replace the old one or buying for the first time, then this guide will be very helpful for you.
In this guide, we will discuss some jawdropping facts on why you need a water purifier, what are its advantages & disadvantages, how does it work, its types and which one you should go for, and lastly, the shortlisted top 5 best water purifier for your household use.
What’s In It For You
- Why You Need a Water Purifier- Advantages & Disadvantages
- Types of Purifier & How does it Works
- Top 5 Best Water Purifier
Why You Need a Water Purifier | Advantages & Disadvantages of Water Purifier
The water purifier has now become a necessity in Indian households. We are not sure from where our water comes from and is it clean or not. If it’s groundwater or water tanker, it may contain pesticides, heavy metals, bacteria, and high Total Dissolved Solids(TDS).
Advantages of Water Purifier
Here are some advantages of having a water purifier:
Clean & Healthy Water
In today’s world, there is so much water pollution due to plastic waste dumping in water bodies. And, unfortunately, we get water that contains plastic toxins and other harmful contaminants. And, the best water purifier removes all the harmful contaminants and make it safe, clean, and healthy for you.
The Water Tastes Better
The uncleaned water taste salty which is unhealthy whereas the purified water has a different taste. So, always check reviews or ask your friends and family who have the best water purifier, ask them about their experience, the taste of water, and then buy the best one for your household.
Reduces the Risk of Cancers Significantly
Chlorine is useful in cleaning water as it is the cheapest way to clean it. But, that is the safest method as it can cause cancer. But, if you drink water from the best water purifier, which is free from chlorine, it reduces the risk of cancer in your body.
Convenient & Easy to Maintain
The best water purifier is easy to install, maintain, and clean. Instead of getting big filters of water from the market, just install the best water purifier.
If you are getting filters every day, then it must be costing you so much and it may not necessary that your water is completely purified. But, having a filter gives you surety that your water is completely purified and bacteria-free, and economical too.
Overall, a water purifier cleans water as well as makes it safe by removing bacteria that cause diseases like cancer, diarrhea, typhoid, and cholera. Now, let’s have a look at some of the disadvantages.
Disadvantages of Water Purifier
Now, let’s check the disadvantages of water purifier:
Water purifiers consume energy in operation as well as production. The processes such as ultraviolet filtering and reverse osmosis rely on electricity.
The process of purification takes time. The customer has to wait for some time to make the water drinkable.
These are some disadvantages of a water purifier, but it is very little in comparison to the advantages a water purifier has. Now, let’s see the working of the water purifiers and the process of purification.
Types of Purifier & How does Water Purifier Works
Mainly, there are 4 types of water purifiers.
- Reverse Osmosis(RO)
- Activated Carbon
- Sediment filter
Let’s discuss their pros, cons, its working and lastly understand which one would you go for.
The most widely used method by companies is Reverse Osmosis(RO). The Reverse Osmosis method work in the following ways:
- The water is forced through a membrane to eliminate the impurities that may not be visible to the naked eyes.
- The membrane removes the impurities based on its shape and size. In simpler words, particles larger than water molecules can’t pass through the membrane. It blocks all the chemicals and bacteria.
- The membrane can also remove the dissolved chemicals from water which other purification cannot.
Advantages of RO
- The RO removes solid, metal particles, germs, bacteria, and other contaminants.
- It improves the taste and odor of water by removing contaminants that cause bad taste.
- It is cost-effective and easy to maintain.
Disadvantages of RO
- The disadvantage of the RO is, it requires electricity to work.
- It produces water waste. To filter 10 liters of water, it wastes approx 5 liters of water.
Ultraviolet is another purification method in water purifiers. Let’s see how UV Purifier works:
- The UV rays penetrate bacteria in water and destroy the DNA of organisms. This eliminates the ability to reproduce the organism.
- It is a very simple and effective process for water cleansing as it destroys 99.9% of germs without adding chemicals.
- Generally, UV water purification systems are used with another form of filtration like RO.
Advantages of UV
- The UV has a low maintenance cost.
- The water purifier is capable to purify 2 to 4 liters of water in a minute. Whereas other water purifier takes few minutes to purify a liter of water.
- It consumes very low energy consumption, as much as a bulb.
- If you have a storage tank, then it requires cleaning twice every week, whereas, without a storage tank, a water purifier needs almost no manual cleaning.
- UV does not use chemicals and doesn’t alter the taste and odor of water.
- The purifier doesn’t remove the essential minerals from the water.
Disadvantages of UV
- The germ’s bodies remain in the water. If the germs don’t been affected by the UV rays and reproduce themselves again, it can cause many diseases in our body.
- If the water has a bad smell or state, it will not be changed, as the UV doesn’t change it.
- Not effective on mud water. Some sand particles can pass the UV light.
- It is not effective in purifying groundwater. It is only designed to purify low TDS water like lake and river water.
The process of Ultrafiltration water purification is as follows:
- Ultrafiltration is a membrane in which pressure is forced.
- Due to this pressure, the bacteria and germs get out of the water.
- It was only used for desalination earlier, but as time flew, the membrane is made to remove bacteria and all other microorganisms and contaminants.
Advantages of Ultrafiltration
- The UF water purifier works without electricity.
- It also works well even in low water pressure conditions.
- UF purifier doesn’t use chemicals that give you chemical-free water.
Disadvantages of Ultrafiltration
- The filtration is not effective in hard water. It can’t emove dissolved solid from hard water like groundwater.
- As the germs are trapped in the purifier, frequent cleaning is required.
Now, let’s see the fourth method of purification, Activation Carbon.
As the name suggests, an activated carbon water purifier uses carbon, which is activated charcoal. The charcoal works through the process of adsorption. Adsorption holds the impurities on the surface of the filter.
It removes toxins, without removing salts ad important minerals. But this filter needs to be replaced every 12 months as impurities are kept in the filter.
Advantages of Activated Carbon
- It removes toxic chemicals like Chlorine and heavy metals from water.
- After purification, the smell and taste of water become good.
- If used with RO membrane, it makes the life of the RO membrane longer by stopping chemicals like chlorine to reach the membrane.
Disadvantages of Activated Carbon
- The purifier cannot remove dissolved solids and salt from the water.
- It can just remove chemicals and metal and can’t remove bacteria and viruses.
A sediment filter works on a process called a mechanical filter. A mechanical filter works as a mesh. It allows water to pass but stops dust. Sediment filters are the net that catches the particulate matter traveling in your water.
Advantages of Sediment filter
- The filter removes rust, mud, dirt, and dust particles present in water.
- As it removed all solid particles, it protects RO, and UV purifiers and increases their lifespan.
Disadvantages of Sediment filter
- The filter can’t remove dissolved solids, heavy metals, and germs like bacteria, viruses.
- Cannot be used independently, as the filter needs UV and RO filter to remove other germs and bacteria.
Now, let’s see the best water purifier for your household.
Top 5 Best Water Purifier
Now, you are all aware of the things which you need to check while buying a new water purifier. Here, we have shortlisted the top 5 best water purifiers.
Kent – 11076 New Grand 8-Litres Wall-Mountable RO + UV+ UF + TDS (White) 20 litre/hr
Price: Rs. 14,549.00
The new Kent Grand is an all-in-one purifier that comes with RO, UV, UF purifying technology, and a TDS control system. It has a capacity of 8 liter which is good for medium-large households.
It can purify 20 liters/hour. If you use a municipal corporation water pipeline, or borewell, or even tanker for water supply, then this is the perfect purifier for you and it is completely automated.
It comes with an in-built SMPS that protects your device from voltage fluctuation and it’s certified by WQA, ISI, and CE.
- Multiple purifications by RO+UV+UF
- Comes with a TDS control system
- Perfect design for domestic purposes
- Have a Water level indicator
- 20 liters/hour purification capacity
- 8 liters storage capacity
- Suitable for purification of brackish, tap water, and municipal water supply
|Have a TDS controller||Pricing is a bit high|
|Comes with 3 free after-sales services.||Doesn’t comes with a rejected water tank|
|Good storage facility.|
|Purifies water in a 7-in-one purification system|
HUL Pureit Ultima Mineral RO+UV+MF 7 Stage 10L
Price: Rs. 16,299.00
HUL is a very familiar brand in the market. This HUL Pureit is suitable for families of 5-6 members. It has a capacity of 10 liters. The black color of the purifier makes it look more elegant which will suit your home decor.
It can process 1 liter of water in no time by eliminating 10 million germs and impurities. It has an advanced alert system to indicate that you need to change its GermKill cartridge. Also, it has a TDS controller and modulator.
- Usable for TDS up to 2000 ppm.
- Free installation
- Comes with an advanced alert and an auto-shutoff system that makes sure you never get impure water
|The company provides a 1-year warranty on the product||Present only in 10 liters capacity|
|It has low-cost maintenance||Only one color for the model is present|
|Retains all the minerals back to the water after the process is over|
|Very affordable even for those who have a low budget|
AO Smith Z8 10-Litre Green RO Series
Price: Rs. 24,999.00
This is one of the best water purifiers as it comes with one of the most technological advancements. It is suitable if you have less budget and you do not want to waste water after purification. It has beautiful designs & a digital display with night assist.
The purifier comes with Water Recovery Technology which restores almost 100% of water after purification, unlike other purifiers which waste 50% of water in the purification process.
It can also dispense hot water at the temperature of 45-80 degrees celsius, and this feature is needed in winter seasons.
- Voltage Required: 150-300V AC
- Free installation
- Usable for TDS up to 2000ppm
- 1-Year Warranty which includes all filters and RO Membrane
- Comes with Advanced Water Recovery Technology
- Have Mineraliser Technology
- Dispense hot water too
|1-year warranty including RO membranes and filters||Doesn’t come with UV protection.|
|Dispense both, normal and hot water.|
|Comes with a night assist glow|
|Advanced Technologies like SCMT, MIN-TECH|
|Comes with Advanced Water Recovery Technology|
Eureka Forbes AquaSure from Aquaguard Smart Plus (RO+UV+MTDS) 6 stages of purification (Black)
Price: Rs. 7,999.00
Eureka Forbes is another big brand in the market. Aquasure is a low-cost and high-service purifier having a storage capacity of 6 liters and comes with 6 stage purification processes with RO, UV, and MTDS Filteration.
It comes with a LED indicator which alerts you about error and changes in the purification process. Moreover, it is a lightweight and compact design. It also comes with a Smart Voltage Fluctuation Guard to protect during voltage fluctuations between 150 to 270 volts.
The purifier can be mounted on the wall or countertop. It will be suitable for families with 3-4 members.
- 230 watts Electricity Consumption
- Offers 6 stage purification of water
- Comes with RO+UV+MTDS mechanisms
|Comes with pre-installed 6000 liters of cartridge||Do not alert with any alarm for a filter change.|
|Indication of water level is also present||Doesn’t have a wastage tank, which means the water is wasted|
|Eureka Forbes is 35 years old and the most trusted brand.|
|Comes with Energy Saving mechanism|
|1-year warranty on the product|
Havells Max Alkaline 7 Litre Absoulety safe RO + UV purifier with 8 Stages, Patented Corner/wall mounting, and Alkaline water technology (Sparkling White and Blue)
Price: Rs. 13,340.00
Havells Max Alkaline provides RO+UV filtration and 7 stage purification system and can be table-mounted as well as wall-mounted.
The purifier comes with the storage capacity of 7 liters which is suitable for family of 2-3 members. It is certified by CE and ISI and has tested number of times.
The purifier comes with a alerting system about the changes in filter or failure of UV filtration. It also has in-built SMPS to make it function normally even during volate fluctuation from 100-300 volts.
- Double filtration system
- Purification capacity- 60 liters/ hour
- Suitable for areas with low TDS of less than 250
- Comes with detachable water tank
|Comes with 1-year warranty||RO membranes are not present.|
|Mineral absorption power is increased by the Revitalizer function.||Filters needs to be changed in every 2 years.|
|Power consumption- Only 24 volt DC|
To conclude, you have read everything you need to know while buying a new water purifier. You read about the 5 types of water filters and those are Reverse Osmosis(RO), Ultraviolet(UV), Ultrafiltration(UF), Activated Carbon, and a Sediment filter. You also look into the advantages and disadvantages of buying the best water purifier and how it works. And lastly, you saw the top 5 best water purifiers which you can use in your household.
If you find this guide helpful, share with your friend who is in need of it.
Also you can read our blog on Best Home Theatres In India-Premium And Affordable Categories
- What are the advantages of water purifier?
The advantages of the best water purifier are as follows:
Clean & Healthy Water
The Water Tastes Better
Reduces the Risk of Cancers Significantly
Convenient & Easy to Maintain
- What are the disadvantages of water purifier?
The disadvantages of water purifier are as follows:
Too much Energy Consumption
Takes too much time
- What are the top 3 water purifier?
The top 3 best water purifier are as follows:
Kent – 11076 New Grand 8-Litres Wall-Mountable
HUL Pureit Ultima Mineral
Eureka Forbes AquaSure from Aquaguard Smart Plus
- What are the types of water purifiers?
There are 5 types of water purifiers:
- How does the best water purifier works?
The working of every purifier depends on its types. The most widely used method by companies is Reverse Osmosis(RO). The Reverse Osmosis method works by forcing the water through a membrane to eliminate the impurities to make the water clean.